Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Memories

My grandma's sister passed away on Sunday, and I have been listening to all kinds of memories in my mind for the past few days. I don't think I have a childhood Thanksgiving or Christmas celebration that doesn't include going to my Aunt Bernice's house. She would have the house full of people by the time we arrived and she would be buzzing about making sure everyone had everything they needed. Her home is a beautiful 2 story house that movies should be made in. The beautiful banister that begged to be held, the stairs that went to a "secret" little attic, the huge living room with the most beautiful Christmas tree and cozy fireplace, the bathroom the size of a bedroom. She would tell me how the bricks for the house were fired there on the property down by the pond where she would host parties. My aunt B is the only person besides my parents to throw me a surprise birthday party. For my 21st birthday, my aunt gathered all the family she could together for a cookout down by the old pond. I felt so important. Once, my aunt had the most beautiful bouquet of dried flowers and I remarked about how pretty they were. I got that bouquet for Christmas later that year, and I still have it today.
My aunt had a knack for giving the most unusual Christmas gifts. I remember the stilts we got one year and how I loved to use them. She gave my parents a flag pole one year and all the cousins got gloves one time. My all time favorite gift is the pair of flip flops that are adhesive and just stick to the bottom of your feet. I brought those with me when I got married and my husband wanted to know what in the world they were. I simply replied, "They were a Christmas gift from Aunt B." Enough said. We still joke about my saving them for some special occasion when they are perfect to wear.
Sunday night, we were at church when my aunt passed away. Our pastor was talking about wanting to be the type of person that others know just by being around that they are a person of faith. That is my Aunt B. You knew by the time she took to care for people and all that she did there was something special about her; she had a faith that lasts for a lifetime.

No comments: